Dienstag, 23. Juni 2009

Velvet Underground
La Cave, Cleveland
28 April 1968 (tape source)

"flac"


01. Sweet Sister Ray 38.38

Lou Reed: guitar, vocals
John Cale: keyboards
Sterling Morrison: guitar
Moe Tucker: drums

original recording by Jaime Klimek

Jaime Klimek recorded many of the Velvets' appearences in Cleveland, but this is the only one in common circulation which features John Cale. Reputedly, most of the original tape was inadvertently erased, leaving only "Sweet Sister Ray", "Heroin" and a small segment of "Venus In Furs". "Heroin" subsequently appeared on the "Live 68" bootleg LP in 1983. "Sweet Sister Ray" was finally issued on the double bootleg LP of the same name in the late 1980s, and again much more recently on the similarly titled 2CD set. (The 2CD set sounds as if it was mastered from a mint copy of the vinyl.). Like all of all the Klimek recordings, the exact date is uncertain - it is attributed to 30 April 1968 on the "Live 68" LP but this does not correlate with local press ads (attached) which list a 26th - 28th April residency.

This is the only known recording of this piece, which was commonly used as an opener for "Sister Ray" in the Cale-era - it very frustratingly cuts off just as Lou launches into the first verse of that song.

Sweet Sister Ray went
where a movie was goin' around
It was the biggest movie
that had ever come to town

Why this is the biggest movie
I ever seen in my whole day
I've never seen a stranger sketch
anyway

Why I must be dead because
I never felt this way alive
At least I never felt this well
since nineteen fifty five

Just then Sister Ray felt
a hand upon her knee
"Hey, I'm the crippled orphan
and I come here constantly"

Why this is just like a mental hospital
doors don't have any locks
Just then in came the doctor
and he's givin' us electro shock

Ah, the vaseline on your forehead
makes you feel so nice
My hair stood up on end
and I thought I'd been frozen in ice

Ah, the room is so pretty
purple curtains 'n' all
No one knew that you're crazy
unless you told them

Just then I saw
a hole in the ground
And I jumped right in
'cause there wasn't nobody around

lyrics transcription by Rob M

01. Ocean (0:54) cut
02. Oh! Sweet Nothing (0:56) cut

2,3: Max's Kansas City, New York, NYC, August 1970
Samples from an uncirculated stereo recording by Joseph Freeman
linage: original VUAS "Afterhours" Maxell XL II Cassettes


https://mega.nz/#!duBwSIzb!JgU589yeB62KAMOx44MC7di6mjEneDhkRnkYj2_3YwQ


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen